Monday, November 17, 2014

Mental Monday: Fitness Can Lead To Stability

The stigma placed on mental health is one that needs to be broken. It's time we start thinking about ourselves and how we live with our illness instead of reducing ourselves to our mental illness. We need to change our way of thinking.

I remember a time when I let my illness be my whole identity. I was consumed with it. And didn't like the person I was becoming. Medications and poor eating led to significant weight gain. Losing 2 family members and the stress that comes along with hospitals and things of that nature made me stop my workouts. I chose to stop, it was how I decided to react to the situation.

I know what made me stop, and I know what made me start again. My story, my illness, were no longer going to define me. It wasn't how I wanted my story to go. I wanted to make myself better, to inspire others in similar situations. And I remember the conversation with my husband, he didn't want to live another minute without trying to be better health wise. 

So in January of 2014 we mad our way to the gym like more than half of the population. It was for real, not easy. I was At my heaviest as was my husband. But we pressed on. I remember when things started to change, I felt better mentally, more than physically. Exercise was helping to stabilize my mood. The science is there so I won't get in to that other than this:  
That is what made the push of becoming a coach. I wanted others who suffer from mental illness or the loss of a loved one from diabetes to know, that in this crazy life there is someone just like them.


If you are ready to start learning how fitness and nutrition can help I am here to help

No comments:

Post a Comment