Saturday, March 28, 2015

Mental Monday: The Day I Found Out

Bipolar wasn't something that I ever thought I would have, nor did I want the stigma that came with mental illness. But that changed in December of 2008.

I always chucked my moods up to being normal, that I was taking after my father and his temper. Mental illness wasn't something that we ever talked about. In fact after my diagnosis I learned about my families history with it, on my mothers side.

When I was told that I had Bipolar, it sent me in to the deepest depression of my life. I felt like my world crashed down on me. My husband was no longer dating the person he fell in love with, at least that's how I felt. I was angry that this happened to me. At one point I checked in to a mental hospital, because my depression had me at rock bottom. At that point I wanted to end my life.

During my Hospitalization I quickly realized everyone who suffers from mental illness has problems. It was a wake up call for me. I had what the didn't a support system and suicide was not going to ever be an option for me.

After my stay at the hospital was when I became more open about my disorder. I told my bosses, and family. I sought help for it.

Today I am and always will be very open about it. I feel I have to be. Because my story may help someone. I am here to break the stigma that is placed on us that is created by a bias media. Lately I am seeing mental illness used as a scapegoat for people who commit crimes, and that saddens me. People who suffer from mental illness can be productive and leaders in our society, and I am here to do my part in that!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment