Friday, April 10, 2015

Friday Favorites: Meal Planning

I think I might be in the minority of people that love to meal plan. I love it!
Why meal plan?

Planning first of all helps you to stay organized and on a schedule. It also if you make it work can help to save you money. How? Here is my list of how.

1) You shop with a budget.
2) With the budget comes you shopping list. Stick to your list.
3) You are only shopping for that week!

My husband, Dad, and myself live on $100.00 or less budget for groceries.

So here is a quick way for first time planners!!
 What you need first in a calendar, I use a weekly one without dates.
Second two of your favorite cookbooks





Pick your favorite 2-3 recipes,  use the calendar and pick you days where you want to eat them . Why 2-3? The common misconception is that everyday should be a different meal. To me that is wasteful spending. So we generally stick to 2.

I also, because of our weight loss journey, meal prep. Which is something I strongly recommend for busy families, I grocery shop on Saturday's and prep on Sunday's. It makes it so much easier for us. And having a specific day in which I do each activity is helpful.

Lastly I want to leave you with this. It is Important that as a family you sit down and eat with each other. At a table. This is really important for parents with young children, because of the lesson if social behaviors, that are learned from the simple act of being together. Also let them help in the process of planning. Make their relationship with food positive. Also there are so many benefits of cooking your own food on a nutritional level!!!    

No comments:

Post a Comment